Although it turns out we're not big fans of Mackinac, I was glad we went because I've heard so much about it.
On the day we visited, we had to get up super early to get to the ferry by 7:30. We had heard that the first three ferries of the day go under the Mackinac Bridge and we didn't want to miss that! But, we did miss it because there was too much fog to allow the ferry to safely navigate under the bridge.
Mackinac Island is a unique place, I will give it that. It is picturesque and quaint.
Here's Arch Rock...
...and a little fudge shop (of which there are several).
We knew Mackinac was famous for having horse-drawn carriages, but we were not prepared for the stench. There are horse and carriage tours all over the place (for a pretty penny, too) and consequently, the streets are filled with horse urine and feces. Yep, really. And people ride bicycles through said waste all the live-long day. In the heat of summer it absolutely reeks. When we first got off the ferry, I thought surely there would be some clean-up crew that would come 'round to pick up after the horses or spray some sterilizing solution on the streets... but that never happened. See how the pavement is wet in this picture? That's not water, folks.
Here's Arch Rock...
...and a little fudge shop (of which there are several).
We knew Mackinac was famous for having horse-drawn carriages, but we were not prepared for the stench. There are horse and carriage tours all over the place (for a pretty penny, too) and consequently, the streets are filled with horse urine and feces. Yep, really. And people ride bicycles through said waste all the live-long day. In the heat of summer it absolutely reeks. When we first got off the ferry, I thought surely there would be some clean-up crew that would come 'round to pick up after the horses or spray some sterilizing solution on the streets... but that never happened. See how the pavement is wet in this picture? That's not water, folks.
We took a carriage tour and the horses were SO GASSY that we departed the tour early and walked the rest of the way.
The girls got to hold the reins for the first part of the carriage ride, so that was nice.
The above notwithstanding, there were some things we enjoyed while on Mackinac.
The girls got to hold the reins for the first part of the carriage ride, so that was nice.
The Butterfly House was amazing! The girls could have stayed there all day.
I even got to hold a Blue Morpho!
I even got to hold a Blue Morpho!
The fudge wasn't bad, either!
The girls got Chocolate Mint and Steve and I got Triple Chocolate Espresso.... Yum!
The girls got Chocolate Mint and Steve and I got Triple Chocolate Espresso.... Yum!