Camping wasn't all about the tent. Two of our special outings were to world-famous places!
First, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on the southern shore of Lake Superior.
We took a boat tour (a three-hour tour, a three-hour tour....) and captured dozens of shots on our little camera - some blurry, some pretty decent. Here are just a few of the best shots.
I especially appreciate having these pictures now, because I didn't see all these sights while on the boat; I spent a good portion of the ride with my eyes closed and ears plugged, trying, unsuccessfully, to block out the incessant pounding of the diesel engine, which sounded like a jack hammer inside my head for three hours. Making memories.
Below: I think this is supposed to look like a cruise ship.
Below: the rock formation one the far left is called Indian Head.
The color of the water in Lake Superior really does vary this much. So beautiful, but SO cold!
The girls are always on the lookout for wildlife, and this sea gull was close enough for a photo!
***************
Later in the week, we visited Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie.
This was of particular interest because Grandpa Webb used to work on the boat tours. Also, Steve's Grandpa Eling was a cook on the Great Lakes freighters and would have come through the Soo Locks several times a year.
Edison Power Plant - some of the water from the St. Marys River (it's killing me not to put an apostrophe in "Marys" but that's the way the name of that river is typically written) is diverted through this plant and used to power turbines which supply energy to the town of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
Edison Power Plant - some of the water from the St. Marys River (it's killing me not to put an apostrophe in "Marys" but that's the way the name of that river is typically written) is diverted through this plant and used to power turbines which supply energy to the town of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
It was a cold, windy, and rainy day! Just look at that sky!
Lowered and the locks opening up for our tour boat to pass through...
On the high end...
topographic map of Lake Superior
topographic map of Lake Ontario
control house for the locks
I have no idea what this building was, but it looked picture worthy.
This crank is used to open the locks when the people in the control tower are taking their lunch break. KIDDING!
Great Lakes - unsalted and shark free. I kept seeing shirts with that logo and I should have gotten one. Maybe on the next trip!
