Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Summer Horseback Riding

This post has two sets of pictures: some from 2012 and some from 2013.  We went horseback riding on both of those summer vacations... but perhaps we will not be doing that in 2014?!?  If the girls are allowed to choose, I know we will be doing it again!


First, our 2012 ride.  It was a one-hour trail ride through a thick wooded area outside Paradise (in Michigan's Upper Peninsula).  It was a pretty calm ride overall with agreeable horses.  The girls loved every minute.  Amazingly, there seemed to be no bugs despite the fact that we were in the woods.  Perhaps the huge amounts of bug spray we all used before getting on the horses did the trick.  Or maybe the ranch sprayed the horses with insect repellant.  Whatever the case, it was a pleasant surprise not to be assaulted by bugs.


Madeline's horse was an Appaloosa named Ace.

Steve's horse was a Chestnut named Big Ben, and my horse was a Palomino named Holly.  Apparently, Holly is quite a lady and refuses to relieve herself in the woods.  According to our guide, she will only do so back in her stall, where she can have her privacy.  I understand, Holly.  I would want my privacy, too.

Lydia's horse was an Appaloosa named Rebel.

Our guide was great and it was a fun ride!

 **********************************

Next, our 2013 ride.  It was a one-hour ride near Traverse City (in Michigan's Lower Peninsula), but this time it was through a mixture of fields, wooded areas, along a roadside at one point, and, regrettably, across a stream.

Lydia's horse

Madeline's horse

Girls and horses are ready to go!

This last trail ride went fine overall until we crossed the stream.  The horse I was on splashed for a while in the stream, which sounds innocent enough, but it made me very nervous because I wasn't expecting it and had no idea what would happen next.  I was wondering if the horse would decide to get down in the water and roll around!  Not a fun thought.  I couldn't wait to get off that horse!  Thankfully this happened at the end of the ride.

Steve has always asserted that motorcycles are safer than horses (depending on the rider) because horses have their own brain and therefore can be unpredictable.  I think I agree!