Monday, May 12, 2014

My Long-Awaited Redbud

I've wanted my very own redbud tree ever since I moved out on my own in 1996.  It only took 17 years, but it finally happened on Mother's Day weekend in 2013!

While I waited impatiently for my tree, Lydia drew me a picture of one, and I hung it in the kitchen.


Here is the tree we picked out at the nursery last spring!  I loved how scraggly the branches looked.  By the time it was delivered, all the blossoms had dropped off so this year will be the first year for it to really bloom in our yard!


Here's my tree in winter... I wanted purple lights on it so it would remind me of what's to come in the spring.  The lights in the picture look red, but they are actually a pinkish-purple.


...And ta-da!!!  Here's my beautiful tree in May 2014!  It doesn't look as full as the 2013 picture but that's because there were other trees behind the one we picked out, making it look much fuller in the 2013 photo.  I'm so excited to finally have my own redbud!  


Update - my tree in October 2014!