Blogs are strange things. When you read a person's blog, you get a glimpse into their life. But it's just that - a glimpse. And that glimpse is only what the blogger chooses to share. It doesn't afford the reader a complete picture of what that family's life is really like.
For my devoted readers (and I'm sure there are thousands), a moment of truth: I don't tell everything. Surprise! The things I do share are completely true, but that's not the whole story.
I don't write up entries about the times our kids are sassy and disrespectful, or the times they fight, or the times I have had to repeat the SAME THING five times before they do it. I don't brag about the times they make poor choices or get in trouble.
I don't write up entries about my unending character flaws. The times I yell at the girls, the times I am impatient, the times I worry that I have failed them, the times I wonder if I am the cause of their shortcomings, the times I use poor grammar and pass it off as a sentence when posting a blog entry. I don't include descriptions of how I am selfish and spoiled and lazy (mainly because that would take too long). I don't tell about our lack of discipline when it comes to mealtimes, bedtimes, chores, and several other things. I don't blog about the fact that I should be reading to my children instead of blogging or emailing or facebooking. I don't tell people that I make up words like 'facebooking'.
I don't write up entries telling everyone that sometimes my husband and I fight (true, it's pretty rare). I also don't often admit that he gives way, way more than his fair share to make things peaceful in our home, and that's probably why we don't fight!
I started this blog for two reasons. The public reason was to let people in far away places know what's happening in our lives. The private reason was to have a way to look back on our life once the kids are grown and gone. And when we do look back, I want a record of the good things. Who wants to remember all the bad?
Now, obviously, I know that my kids will read this entry someday (because I'm sure they will read this blog, in its entirety, every single week). So why include the admission that there was even one bad thing in our lives? I want my kids to know the shocking truth - we were a regular family.
So for all of you blog readers out there (probably several hundred reading this right now), just remember that when you read someone's blog, they are giving you a glimpse of their life from one perspective.
Now, either that castle is a toy, or I am a giant.
