Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 7: El Malpais National Monument

I've never felt such strong wind as I did at the top of these sandstone cliffs.

The gravel road getting here was NOT fun for Steve to drive, but we made it!





New Mexico's nick name is "Land of Enchantment" and it's completely accurate.  Everywhere we went in New Mexico was breathtaking and beautiful.  I could feel a change almost as soon as we crossed the border from Texas.  I looked around and saw stunning views almost everywhere.  I could have spent a lot longer in New Mexico!

One thing we kept hearing in southern New Mexico was LOUD booms!  We asked someone about them and it turns out they are hail cannons, used to drive storms away from the large pecan groves.  According to this article, they don't work, but the pecan farmers sure were persistent in using them!