Saturday, January 26, 2013

Snowfest!

We had a chilly but wonderful time last night in Frankenmuth!  Snowfest was beautiful and the people who created the sculptures are so talented.


Who knew there were whole college teams devoted to carving ice?  I knew college students did that, but I always thought it was more of a casual hobby rather than a real commitment as the lettering on the jackets suggests.  I think the U of A team is from the University of Akron.



All bundled up in several layers... but that didn't stop our toes from eventually feeling as icy as the sculptures!  We took refuge inside a store for a few minutes to warm up.  As we were warming the girls' feet with our hands, another mom walked by and asked, "Got cold piggies?" then proceeded to give us two sets of toe warmers for the girls!  We were so grateful!




I kept wondering if the team from Mexico was colder than the rest of the teams...


We all loved this sculpture.  The bears are on two separate ice floes.  I think the sculptors are going to remove the snow under the lone bear's chin before they are finished.  The competition pieces were to be judged the morning after this photo was taken. 




Mr. Salty!


I think this guy is cooking fish over a campfire (while his friend sleeps in the lean-to) and the bears are coming to check out what's for supper.


Sadly, the batteries in my camera died, so I don't have a photo of the most amazing piece we saw all night, a 100-block ice sculpture of a ship and lighthouse.